What Is Ballistic Stretching and How Can It Benefit You?
You decide that your muscles are way too tight and that you need to stretch way more. The problem is that you don’t know if ballistic stretching is ideal and if it is when you should use it? Anyone can pick up something new by watching other people do it but stretching is much better when you understand why you are doing it.
Then ballistic stretching might be just what you need. In this article, we will be discussing everything you need to know about ballistic stretching, the health benefits and possible risks that you may incur. At the end of the article, you will be able to choose the best stretching regimen for your needs.
What Is Ballistic Stretching?
It is an exercise that involves bouncing into a range when your muscles are relaxed or are not prepared so that they can enter into that range. This is done repetitively to provide the push necessary to surpass the limits of the muscles. The exercise aims to improve the flexibility of the body.
Ballistic stretching is a type of exercise that is common among athletes, taekwondo players, judo players, basketballers, dancers, etc. Athletes love these stretches because they help them to increase the range of movement of their muscles and enhance their overall performance in their craft or sport.
What Is The Difference Between Ballistic Stretching And Dynamic Stretching?
While the two types of exercises require stretching your muscles, ballistic stretching requires you to stretch your muscles beyond the normal range of their movements while dynamic stretching does not require you to stretch your muscles beyond their reasonable limits.
What Are The Popular Ballistic Stretching Exercises?
Although there are several ballistic stretching exercises, there are some that are more popular than the others. They are:
- Overhead Arm Swing: In this exercise, you need to stand with your legs apart, bent, and your back erect. Then you will have to swing your arms repeatedly to an overhead position.
- Legs Swings: In this exercise, you need to stand sideways and keep your body about an arm’s length away from the wall. Then you will have to put the weight of your body on your left leg and put your right arm on the wall to maintain balance.
- The Standing Lunge: In this exercise, you need to keep your foot forward and your arms loosely by your sides. You can also keep your arms straightened above your shoulders. This exercise aims to develop your gluteus and quadriceps muscles.
What Are The Benefits Of Ballistic Stretching?
- Improves the flexibility of the muscles of the body.
- Optimally enhances the motor performance of muscles of the body.
- Prepares the muscles of the body for high impact activities.
- It’s an ideal exercise to prepare the body for physically intensive activities.
What Are The Risks Involved In Ballistic Stretching?
Despite the how advantageous ballistic stretching is, it also has some risks that we think you should be aware of. Some of the risks include:
- It can result in tearing of the ligaments and soft tissues of the body.
- It can make the body more susceptible to particular kind of injuries.
What Are The Factors To Consider Before Trying Out Ballistic Stretching?
- Your age
- Your current health condition
- Previous injuries you may have suffered from
KHO Health was acquired by was acquire by 9INE POINT in the summer of 2019 and is now referred to as 9INE POINT Health.